52 Old Money Summer Style Outfits That Make You Look Expensive
1. Button-Down Shirt + Pullover Over Shoulders
2. Tweed Jacket + Black Tights
3. Old Money Summer Style: Tennis Skirt + Polo Shirt
4. Wool Coat + Knee-High Boots
5. Old Money Summer Style Outfits: Cream Jeans + Basic Top
6. Tweed Jumpsuit + Pink Coat
7. Knitted Turtleneck Pullover + White Suit Pants
8. Jeans + Blouse
9. Black Blazer + Knee-High Boots
10. Tweed Dress + Black Tights
11. Blazer + Skirt
12. Knitted Top + Black Mini Skirt
13. Oversized Knitted Sweater
14. Oversized Sweater + Silk Dress
15. Black Shorts + White Knitted Sweater
16. Tennis Skirt + Sweater Vest
17. Tulle Dress
18. Oversized Button-Down Shirt
19. Knitted Suit
20. White Poplin Dress
21. Pastel Yellow Dress
22. Jogging Suit
23. Tennis Skirt + Button Down Shirt
24. Pink Plaid Tweed Blazer + White Dress
25. White Shorts + White Knee-High Boots
26. Tweed Dress Suit
27. Cropped Blazer + Black Shorts
29. Knitted Dress
30. Knitted Button-Down Sweater-Dress
31. Blouse + Leather Skirt
32. Silk Dress
33. Black Tennis Skirt + Button-Down Top
34. Plaid Dress
35. White Dress + Sweater Vest
36. Oversized Black Blazer + Knitted Sweater over Shoulders
37. Silk Dress
39. Oversized Black Blazer + Black Tennis Skirt
40. Black Mini Dress
41. Knitted Top + Black Skirt + Mary Jane Pumps
42. Knitted Top + Cream Jeans
43. Plaid Sweater + Black Shorts
44. Pastel Yellow Dress + White Gloves
45. Black Midi Dress
46. Black Dress + White Button-Down Shirt Underneath
47. Black Tennis Skirt + Knitted Pullover
49. White Tweed Suit
50. Faux Fur Cream Top + Straight Leg Creme Jeans
51. Cropped Oversized Blazer + Yellow Denim Skirt
52. Black Mini Dress + Hat
1. How to Dress Like Old Money?
These are the main tips you need to follow to look old-money:
1. Light Colors
Especially in summer, a simple and super helpful tip is to go for lighter colors like white, light blue, pink, yellow, or other light pastel shades.
This is because the rich know that light colors not only protect them from excessive sunlight, but these colors also make them look much neater, friendlier, and most importantly, chicer.
Dark clothing quickly looks dull and can leave a rude, distant impression, which is to be avoided at all costs, especially for rich people.
After all, just because these families are already wealthy doesn’t mean they don’t want to expand their wealth. And for that, good contacts and long business relationships are essential – so their overly bright clothing sets a foundation stone for friendly, open conversations here.
So if you’re also interested in networking with successful, interesting personalities, you should heed this simple but effective tip.
2. High-Quality Fabrics
Bad materials can ruin your outfit within seconds. Because even if you think that most people don’t see the fabric composition of your look: They do, unfortunately.
Maybe not necessarily the direct fabric mix, but still, you see – and worst case you smell – the bad production and manufacturing of these items.
Pieces from predominantly synthetic fabrics should be taboo from now on! They only make you sweat excessively anyway, always look cheap, and make you look anything but elegant.
I, therefore, recommend, especially if you’re on a budget, that you create capsule wardrobes with 20-30 elegant, timeless pieces for each season, which you can then combine in the most diverse chic ways. This will not only save you a lot of time and stress, but also a lot of money.
So invest rather in a few, high-quality materials, for example, linen, cotton, wool, silk, or cashmere instead of unnecessarily many pieces in poor quality at the worst of almost fashion stores to own.
3. Tie a Sweater Over Your Shoulders
Who doesn’t know this preppy, adorable look?
I actually put together a few outfits in this style myself yesterday and even though I already loved tying sweaters over my shoulders before, yesterday I realized even more how much it makes the outfit more elegant.
And I highly recommend this to you too: tying a sweater over your shoulders has such a great, casually elegant vibe that puts you right into that “right off the tennis court” flair.
It’s basically such a simple trick, but it really works wonders and is practical too. When it gets a little chilly in the evening, you’ll have something you can throw on right away and you won’t have to lug a jacket around.
4. No Flashy Designer Brands
Since these people 1. don’t need it and 2. don’t find it elegant, you won’t see anyone with old money walking around like this.
And that’s a good thing – it gives us the advantage of not having to wear designer pieces to recreate this aesthetic.
With high-quality materials and a good fit, everything is already done – it shouldn’t even be recognizable from the outside, from which brand an item is. And if you can see a logo it should be a small, minimalist logo such as on Ralph Lauren* or Lacoste Polos*.
5. Tennis Clothes like Tennis Skirts or Polo Shirts
That is why many wear the elegant style as in these sports.
The obligatory “hanging sweaters over shoulders” actually comes from golfers, who would otherwise be too cold. This style always has something very elegant, and casual.
The good thing about it: To look old-money, you can also be sporty and elegant on the road. The best way to do this is with an elegant tennis skirt or a polo shirt. But never forget the sweater over your shoulders 😉
2. Where Did the Old Money Aesthetic Come From?
As I mentioned earlier, so-called “old money” is money that has been passed down and inherited over several generations.
Moreover, families with old money don’t come from middle-class or working-class families, but from businesses or fortunes from several generations ago.
The so-called “new money,” on the other hand, was earned recently. The new rich are first-generation millionaires and billionaires.
Accordingly, the “Old Money Aesthetic” originally came from families with aristocratic titles (titles of nobility) in Europe or also from the WASP culture (White Anglo-Saxon Protestant) in the United States, who can afford, for example, the sports of polo, golf or tennis.
In series like “Bridgerton” or “The Crown,” we see again and again such families, who with their elegant, chic style contribute to this style (again) gaining popularity.
3. What Are the Characteristics of the Old Money Style?
- Bright colors like white, light blue, or rose
- High-quality fabrics like linen, cotton, silk, wool
- The stereotypical tying of the sweater around the shoulders
- Tennis clothes like tennis skirts or polo shirts
- No flashy designer logos
- Hats, silk scarves, and gloves are often-used elegant accessories
6. Is Chanel Old Money?
With its timeless designs and cuts, Chanel is definitely one of the pioneers when it comes to “old money” brands.
In particular, the world-famous tweed jackets of the brand enjoy great popularity among the women of wealthy families.
7. Is Polo Old Money?
8. What Is New vs Old Money?
The so-called “old money” refers exclusively to inherited wealth that wasn’t generated by families in the working or middle class, but by families in the upper class, or rather the aristocracy. This is wealth that has lasted for several generations.
In the case of so-called “new money,” it is the exact opposite: here, “new money” refers to the wealth acquired by or in the first generation.
Examples of new money include many prominent corporate CEOs, musicians, entrepreneurs, famous athletes, and social media influencers.
9. How can a Woman Look Rich? – 7 Simple Tips
- Cashmere is your best friend
- Wear more navy blue than black
- Invest in a glamorous little black dress (and don’t just wear it to funerals)
- Let your everyday jewelry be a big statement
- Carry a clutch purse that’s smaller than you think you need
- For evening, definitely go sparkly and sheer, but keep it classy and elegant, not racy or low-cut.
- Stick with classic, timeless cuts instead of trendy ones