The iconic blue Birkin bag is the ultimate luxury accessory, coveted by fashionistas around the world. But with its high price tag and exclusive availability, it can be hard to know where to start when it comes to purchasing one of these iconic bags.
In this article, we will delve into everything you need to know about the blue Birkin bag, including how much it costs, where you can buy one, and what makes it so special. We’ll also answer some common questions about Birkin bags, such as how much a Birkin costs in store, what the cheapest Birkin option is, and why these bags are so expensive.
Finally, we’ll explore whether it is difficult to get your hands on a Birkin and how you can increase your chances of owning one of these coveted accessories. So, if you’ve ever dreamed of owning a blue Birkin bag, this is the article for you!
Table of Contents
What is the Blue Birkin Bag?
The blue Birkin bag is a luxury handbag made by Hermès, a high-end fashion house based in France. It is named after actress and singer Jane Birkin, who was the inspiration for the design. The Birkin bag is known for its quality craftsmanship and exclusive availability, making it a coveted accessory among fashion-conscious individuals.
One thing to know about the blue Birkin bag is that it is made from a variety of materials, including leather, crocodile skin, ostrich skin, and more. The type of material used will affect the price of the bag. The blue Birkin bag is also available in a range of sizes, from a small 20cm bag to a larger 45cm version.
Another thing to consider is that Birkin bags are not mass-produced, and they are often made to order. As a result, they can be difficult to find and may have a waiting list. Birkin bags are also expensive, with prices starting at around $9,000 and going up to $150,000 or more for rare, exotic leather versions.
Despite their high price, Birkin bags are considered a status symbol and are highly sought after by collectors and fashion enthusiasts. They are often considered a sound investment, as they have been known to appreciate in value over time.
The History of the Birkin Bag
The Birkin bag was created in 1984 by Jean-Louis Dumas, the then-CEO of Hermès, after a chance encounter on an airplane with actress and singer Jane Birkin. Birkin was struggling to fit her belongings into her bag, and Dumas offered to design a bag that would better suit her needs. The resulting design, named the “Birkin” in honor of Jane Birkin, became an instant hit and has since become one of the most iconic and sought-after luxury handbags in the world.
Hermès, the French fashion house that produces Birkin bags, is known for its commitment to quality craftsmanship and attention to detail. The company has a long history of producing luxury goods, including handbags, clothing, accessories, and home decor. The Birkin bag has become one of Hermès’ most iconic and recognizable products, and it is highly sought after by collectors and fashion enthusiasts around the world.
Materials and Sizes
1. Different Materials
Birkin bags are made from a variety of materials, including leather, crocodile skin, ostrich skin, and more. The type of material used can affect the price and appearance of the bag.
Leather is the most common material used for Birkin bags. It is durable, flexible, and easy to care for, making it a popular choice for high-end handbags. Hermès uses a variety of leathers for its Birkin bags, including cowhide, sheepskin, and goatskin.
Crocodile skin is a more expensive and exotic option for Birkin bags. It is known for its durability and unique pattern, which is created by the scales on the skin. Hermès sources its crocodile skin from farms that raise the animals specifically for their skin, which is then treated and tanned to create a durable and luxurious material.
Ostrich skin is another option for Birkin bags. It is known for its distinctive textured pattern, which is created by the feathers on the skin. Ostrich skin is softer and more supple than other leathers, and it is considered a luxury material due to its rarity.
Other materials that have been used for Birkin bags include lizard skin, alligator skin, and python skin. These materials are even more rare and expensive than crocodile and ostrich skin, and they are often used for limited edition or special release Birkin bags.
Birkin bags are available in a range of sizes to suit different needs and preferences. The sizes are measured by the width of the bag, and the most common sizes are:
- 20cm: This is the smallest size of Birkin bag and is sometimes referred to as a “mini Birkin.” It is suitable for carrying small essentials such as a phone, wallet, and keys.
- 30cm: This is a medium-sized Birkin bag that can hold more items than the 20cm size. It is a popular choice for everyday use.
- 35cm: This size is slightly larger than the 30cm bag and is suitable for carrying more items or for use as an overnight bag.
- 40cm: This size is even larger than the 35cm bag and is suitable for carrying larger items or for use as a travel bag.
- 45cm: This is the largest size of Birkin bag and is suitable for use as a luggage piece or for carrying a large amount of items.
In addition to these standard sizes, Hermès also offers customized Birkin bags in a range of sizes to suit individual preferences.
Price and Availability
1. How much does Birkin cost?
Here is a rough price range for some common sizes and materials of blue Birkin bags:
- 20cm blue Birkin bag in leather: $9,000 – $15,000
- 30cm blue Birkin bag in leather: $10,000 – $20,000
- 35cm blue Birkin bag in crocodile skin: $40,000 – $80,000
- 40cm blue Birkin bag in ostrich skin: $50,000 – $100,000
- 45cm blue Birkin bag in alligator skin: $100,000 or more
Keep in mind that these are rough estimates and prices can vary depending on factors such as the specific type of leather or skin used, the hardware on the bag, and any additional customization. Birkin bags are often considered a status symbol and may be more expensive due to their prestige and exclusivity, rather than their inherent value.
2. Process of Purchasing a Birkin Bag
Purchasing a Birkin bag can be a different process than buying other types of handbags, due to the exclusive nature of these luxury items.
Here is a general overview of the process of purchasing a Birkin bag:
- Finding a Birkin bag: Birkin bags are not mass-produced and are often made to order, so they may not always be immediately available. In order to purchase a Birkin bag, you will need to find a retailer that sells them. Hermès has its own stores and boutiques where you can purchase Birkin bags, and there are also authorized dealers that sell them. Keep in mind that Birkin bags are highly sought after and may have a waiting list, so you may need to be patient if you want to purchase one.
- Choosing a size and material: Once you have found a retailer that sells Birkin bags, you can start the process of choosing the size and material that you want. You can choose from a range of sizes, including 20cm, 30cm, 35cm, 40cm, and 45cm, and a variety of materials, including leather, crocodile skin, ostrich skin, and more. The price of the bag will depend on the size and material you choose.
- Making the purchase: In order to purchase a Birkin bag, you will need to have a good relationship with the retailer or have a referral from a current Birkin owner. You may also need to provide proof of financial ability to purchase the bag. Once you have been approved to purchase a Birkin bag, you can place your order and pay for the bag. Depending on the material and size you choose, the bag may be made to order and could take several weeks or even months to be completed.
- Receiving the bag: Once the bag has been completed, you will be notified that it is ready to be picked up or shipped to you. You will need to pay any remaining balance and complete any necessary paperwork before receiving the bag.
Please keep in mind that this is a general overview of the process of purchasing a Birkin bag, and the specific process may vary depending on the retailer and your individual circumstances.
3. What is the Cheapest Birkin You Can Buy?
Generally, the smaller and simpler the bag, the less expensive it will be. For example, a small, leather Birkin bag may be less expensive than a larger, exotic skin version. That being said, even the most basic Birkin bags are quite expensive, with prices starting at around $9,000.
If you are looking for the most affordable Birkin bag option, you may want to consider a used or pre-owned bag*. These bags can be found at a discounted price compared to a brand new Birkin bag, and they may still be in good condition.
But always remember that purchasing a used Birkin bag carries some risks, as there is no way to verify the authenticity of the bag or its condition. It is always a good idea to do your research and buy from a reputable seller when considering a used Birkin bag.
4. Is it Hard to Get a Birkin?
Yes, it can be difficult to get a Birkin bag due to their exclusive availability and high demand.
One of the factors that can make it difficult to get a Birkin bag is the process of purchasing one. In order to purchase a Birkin bag, you will need to find a retailer that sells them and have a good relationship with the retailer or have a referral from a current Birkin owner. You may also need to provide proof of financial ability to purchase the bag. This process can be time-consuming and may require patience.
Another factor that can make it difficult to get a Birkin bag is the cost. These bags are quite expensive, with prices starting at around $9,000 and going up to $150,000 or more. Not everyone can afford to purchase a Birkin bag, and this exclusivity is part of what makes them so desirable.
Overall, it can be challenging to get a Birkin bag due to their exclusive availability and high demand, as well as the process of purchasing one and the cost involved.
5. Why are Birkins so Expensive?
Birkin bags are expensive for a number of reasons.
Here are a few key factors that contribute to the high cost of these luxury handbags:
- Materials: Birkin bags are made from high-quality materials such as leather, crocodile skin, ostrich skin, and more. These materials are expensive, and the cost is reflected in the price of the bag. Exotic leathers, such as crocodile, ostrich, and alligator, are particularly expensive and can add significantly to the cost of the bag.
- Craftsmanship: Birkin bags are known for their quality craftsmanship and attention to detail. Hermès, the company that produces Birkin bags, is known for its commitment to using traditional techniques and expert craftspeople to create its products. This level of craftsmanship takes time and skill, and the cost is reflected in the price of the bag.
- Exclusivity: This exclusivity, combined with their high demand, contributes to their high price. Birkin bags are also considered a status symbol and are highly sought after by collectors and fashion enthusiasts, which can drive up the price.
- Prestige: Hermès is a prestigious and well-known fashion house, and its products, including Birkin bags, are considered luxury items. The association with a high-end brand and the prestige of owning a Birkin bag can add to their cost.
Overall, the high cost of Birkin bags is due to a combination of factors, including the materials used, the craftsmanship involved, the exclusivity and demand for the bags, and the prestige associated with them.
Care and Maintenance
1. Tips for caring for a blue Birkin bag
Here are a few tips for caring for a blue Birkin bag:
- Store it properly: To keep your blue Birkin bag in good condition, it is important to store it properly when not in use. Avoid exposing the bag to direct sunlight or heat, as this can cause the leather to fade or crack. It is also a good idea to store the bag in a dust bag or a protective cover to keep it clean and free from dust.
- Clean it regularly: To keep your blue Birkin bag looking its best, it is important to clean it regularly. Use a soft, dry cloth to dust off the bag and remove any dirt or debris. If the bag is very dirty, you can use a soft, damp cloth to gently wipe it down. Avoid using any harsh chemicals or detergents, as these can damage the leather.
- Protect it from water: Water can damage leather, so it is important to protect your blue Birkin bag from getting wet. If the bag does get wet, be sure to dry it off immediately and avoid exposing it to heat or direct sunlight.
- Condition the leather: To keep the leather on your blue Birkin bag soft and supple, it is a good idea to condition it regularly. Use a leather conditioner specifically designed for handbags, and follow the instructions on the product.
- Get it repaired if needed: If your blue Birkin bag suffers any damage, such as a tear or a broken strap, it is a good idea to get it repaired as soon as possible. Hermès has repair services available, and you can also take the bag to a leather repair specialist if needed.
*Disclosure: We only recommend products we would use ourselves and all opinions expressed here are our own. This post may contain affiliate links that we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
If you liked this blog article about the blue birkin bag, don’t forget to follow us on Pinterest so you don’t miss any more fashion and beauty news!