Have you ever wondered what it takes to land a job in the world of “old money”? These high-paying positions have been held by generations of wealthy families, from bankers and lawyers to CEOs and politicians. While these jobs may seem elusive, they are not impossible to attain. With the right skills and qualifications, you too can join the elite ranks and secure a career in an “old money” profession. This article’ll explore some of the most coveted jobs in this exclusive world and what it takes to break into them. So, if you’re ready to learn about the top “old money” jobs and how to get them, let’s get started!
What are Old Money Jobs?
Have you ever wondered what having a job steeped in tradition, prestige, and wealth would be like? Old money jobs have always held a certain allure for many people, offering the opportunity to be a part of a world that has long been associated with the rich and powerful. These careers often provide stability and a sense of status not easily found in other professions.
As you pursue one of these esteemed careers, you’ll notice that they often come with a certain level of respect. Your colleagues and peers may admire your accomplishments and the history associated with your chosen profession. In some instances, these jobs can also open doors to exclusive social circles where both new and old money mingle – a chance for you to expand your network and deepen your connections.
Of course, financial stability is a significant motivator for pursuing one of these old money jobs. While the level of wealth varies depending on the specific profession, many of these careers can provide excellent financial security and abundance. This can afford you more freedom to focus on personal aspirations, philanthropic pursuits, or professional growth.
Here’s a list of 30 old money jobs:
- Art collector
- Investment banker
- Attorney at law (Lawyer)
- Real estate mogul
- Oil tycoon
- Shipbuilding magnate
- Successful author
- High-end fashion designer
- Private tutor or educator for the wealthy elite
- Art dealer
- Private banker
- Collector of rare artifacts or antiquities
- Estate manager
- Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of a major corporation
- Philosopher or intellectual of high standing
- Heir to an old money fortune
High Paying Old Money Jobs
Doctors and Health Professionals
Becoming a doctor or health professional can lead to a well-earning career if you are passionate about medicine and serving others. Various fields like anesthesiologists and orthodontists, offer high-paying positions.
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
You can significantly impact people’s lives and earn a high salary as an oral and maxillofacial surgeon. These surgeons work with facial structures, and jawbones, and can bring their expertise to various disorders earning an impressive income.
Obstetricians and Gynecologists
An essential and rewarding career in medicine is becoming an obstetrician or gynecologist. You’ll be able to provide essential care to women at various stages of their lives while making a solid income.
Physicians and Psychiatrists
As a physician or psychiatrist, your expertise will be valuable, allowing you to earn high salaries. The national average salary for psychiatrists is certainly motivating.
If you are innovative and business-minded, becoming an entrepreneur can lead to high earnings. Success might not be guaranteed, but successful businesses have the potential to transform your finances significantly.
Old Money Jobs in The Art World
The Rich Life of Artists
Imagine the grand and opulent lives of artists from days gone by. Historically, renowned artists have built immense fortunes, enabling them to lead luxurious lives. Among these are successful art dealers, art collectors, antiquarians, and even philanthropists who generously supported the arts. Prominent artists of the past have shaped the cultural and creative landscape of their times, and their financial stability has often allowed them to continue creating artwork that has enriched the world.
Melodies of The Wealthy Musicians
Music has seen many artists rise to unprecedented wealth and fame. The wealthiest musicians throughout history have enjoyed the fruits of their labor. With talent, innovation, and business acumen, they have earned vast fortunes and gained admission to the old money circles. You can find stories of successful composers who wrote unforgettable melodies or of performers with powerful and evocative voices that resonated with their audiences.
Wordsmiths Rolling in Old Money
There’s a long and illustrious history of writers who have amassed great wealth through their exceptional talents. Successful authors who have paved the way in various genres can be found throughout literary history: revolutionary playwrights, transformative poets, and cutting-edge journalists to pioneering novelists. Many have transcended their own era, leaving legacies that continue to inspire and captivate readers today.
To sum up, whether as an artist, musician, or writer, one can find countless examples of individuals who have reached the heights of both creative success and financial prosperity throughout history. It’s fascinating to think about the luxurious lives they led, the influential work they achieved, and the indelible mark they left on the world of art. So, be inspired by their stories and let their success fuel your own pursuit of a fulfilling life in the arts.
Hard Labor Old Money Jobs
Old money jobs aren’t just for the intellectual and aristocratic crowds; there are plenty of opportunities for people who are not afraid to get their hands dirty. Let’s explore a couple of sub-sections that focus on hard labor old money jobs.
Wealth From The Earth
As a farmer, you can become a part of an essential industry with deep historical roots. Agriculture has supported old money families for centuries, and you might manage to secure a lucrative farming legacy for yourself. Tilling the fields, planting crops, and ensuring the world has an ample food supply has always been noble and profitable.
Construction is another field that has been responsible for generating wealth for centuries. From building magnificent castles to modern-day architectural wonders, there’s no limit to the potential opportunities in this industry. Becoming a construction magnate and contributor to the growth of cities and infrastructure could pave the way to a long-lasting and prosperous career.
Mechanics in The Sky
For those of you who love machines and have a knack for understanding the intricacies of mechanical devices, working as an aircraft mechanic offers a chance to be part of something truly exciting. Maintaining and repairing the machines that keep us airborne is no small task, and this profession can lead to a rewarding and financially stable life. There’s never been a better time to take to the skies, as the aviation industry continues to expand rapidly.
Education and Certification Requirements
In this section, you’ll learn about the different educational paths and certifications that can lead to flourishing careers in some of the classic old money professions. We’ll also discuss the importance of acquiring the necessary skills to thrive in your desired field.
Diplomas for Riches
Earning a high school diploma is often the minimum requirement for entering most prestigious professions. However, some old money careers, like becoming an aristocrat or inheriting an old money fortune, may not rely as heavily on formal education.
For many other old money jobs, a considerable investment in obtaining certifications or higher education is often necessary. For example:
- Certification: Some professions, such as a private banker or estate manager, may require industry-specific certifications to advance in the field. These may involve coursework and exams focusing on regulations, finance, or property management.
- Associate Degree: Jobs like a real estate mogul or successful author might benefit from an associate’s degree in business or communications, although they may not strictly require it. Such degrees can provide essential knowledge in your chosen field and help expand your professional network.
Degrees That Breed Wealth
For several old money jobs, attaining a bachelor’s or advanced degree is crucial:
- Bachelor’s Degree: Careers such as investment banking, law, diplomacy, or art dealing often demand a bachelor’s degree in related fields like finance, politics, or art history. Obtaining a bachelor’s degree not only grants you essential knowledge and competencies in your desired profession but also enhances your credibility and reputation.
- Associate’s Degree (should be removed)
- Advanced Degrees: For elite positions like a judge, high-end fashion designer, or philosopher, pursuing advanced degrees may be necessary to achieve success. An MBA, JD, or Ph.D. can help bolster your expertise, connections, and standing within your industry.
Analysis of Old Money Jobs
You’ll be excited to find out that many of these old money jobs have impressive wages and a long history of generating wealth. You may have heard about some of these jobs being synonymous with success and prosperity. In fact, if we look at a graph showing different professions with their respective salaries, you’d most likely find several of the old money jobs towards the top with wages surpassing $30 per hour.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, there are several old money jobs that have persisted over time and continue to be popular among the elite. These jobs often come with high prestige and influence, meaning they are likely to offer competitive salaries. In some cases, people in these positions can experience significant wealth accumulation leading to a comfortable lifestyle where their own money can work for them.
Other Old Money Jobs
Miscellaneous Wealth Makers
In today’s world, you can still achieve great financial success by stepping into various old money job roles, such as:
- Manager: Managing a team or business operations is a vital skill that is highly valued across various industries. With the right managerial skills, you can potentially boost your earnings exponentially.
- Marketing: Marketing has been and will most likely continue to be in-demand as companies need experts to promote and sell their products effectively. If you excel in this field, you’re on your way to a prosperous career.
- Web Developer: Although a relatively newer profession, web developers are in high demand as more businesses require an online presence to thrive. Mastering this skill can grant you a lucrative and stable career.
- Growth Marketer: With companies constantly looking for experts that can help them grow exponentially, a career in growth marketing can present you with numerous opportunities to prosper.
- Real Estate Agent: Facilitating real estate transactions has historically been a profitable occupation. As a real estate agent, your earning potential is directly linked to your ability to close deals, making success within reach if you’re dedicated and skilled.
- Dental Hygienist: Dental care has long been an essential service, and with the increasing importance of oral health, pursuing a career as a dental hygienist can offer a stable and rewarding path to financial success.
What are examples of old money people?
Examples of old money people include John D. Rockefeller, Cornelius Vanderbilt, Henry Flagler, and Andrew Carnegie.
What do old money families do?
Old money families tend to hide their wealth and superiority behind a veneer of civility, have built up powerful and influential social connections, and have fortunes dating from the 19th century or before.
What jobs do the top 1 have?
The top 1% of earners in the US are primarily executives, managers, and supervisors working in the finance, insurance, and real estate industries, according to a study by the Economic Policy Institute.
What job can you do for a lot of money?
There are many high-paying jobs, including investment banker, software engineer, physician, lawyer, and management consultant.
What are old money hobbies?
Old money hobbies include horseback riding, sailing, golfing, polo, tennis, and croquet, and collecting art, antiques, and wine.
How to behave like old money?
To behave like old money, one should prioritize values such as education, manners, and modesty, avoid flashy displays of wealth, dress conservatively, and engage in hobbies and activities that are traditional and refined.
Disclosure: We only recommend products we would use ourselves and all opinions expressed here are our own. This post may contain affiliate links that we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
If you liked this blog article about Old Money Jobs, don’t forget to follow us on Pinterest so you don’t miss any more fashion and beauty news.